Thursday, September 28, 2006

Bobbing heads

There is a peculiar Indian mannerism that looks like a cross between a nod and a head shake. People bob their heads like those gimmick dogs they sell on the side of the road in SA - rubber necks! It can mean many things, depending mostly on the facial expression.

Most commonly the head-bob denotes agreement, but sometimes it means 'I don't know' or 'no', and I have even seen it used in the 'are you a complete idiot?' context - Indians as a rule are too polite to ever say that, but their head bobs speak for them. I have even started doing it, its a very charming mannerism.

Tomorrow is the last day of school and there have been tears. There are sure to me more, too. The members of the chanting class (incl moi) will be performing the Gayatri Mantra for the benefits of our classmates and teachers. Gulp......

See you all soon, I am looking forward to it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home