Friday, September 08, 2006

God is Everywhere

Ok, I know, this title has heavily religous overtones, but in India, it's true, at least of the Hindu gods. There are roadside shrines everywhere, so numerous that I have already stopped noticing them. People place offerings of fruit, rice and flowers before the feet of the gods, and at yoga school, the flowers in front of the statue of Patanjali and the photo of Krishnamacharya are refreshed daily.

People are quite practical here too. All auto rickshaw drivers have stickers of gods plastered across their windshields - usually at least one of the elephant-headed god Ganesh, who is an overcomer of obstacles and patron god of entrepreneurs - and then a selection of Jesus and Marys (popular even among Hindus) and Lakshmi. She is the goddess of wealth and beauty, great to have on your side if you are in business.

Lakshmi is possible the most popular goddess among business people. Every morning at my hotel, the New Woodlands, they chalk beautiful, complicated designs outside their main doors, to welcome Lakshmi into their establishment. Lakshmi lends her name to every business you can imagine, and sometimes the businesses go so far as to call her MahaLakshmi (Great Lakshmi). Personally, I think they are just sucking up.

Not that Lakshmi is the only one to lend her name to enterprise - I have seen Siva and Krishna businesses, Surya's (God of the sun), and even an Angel boutique. But my favourite so far has to be 'Efforts Never Fail Real Estate and Letting'.

I am really glad school is over for the week, although it means there are only three weeks left (sob). I now have two days to try to assimilate some of my new knowledge. Perhaps two months would be more appropriate. Have decided not to do the tourist thing on Sunday, and if things continue at this pace, I may have to come back to India to be a toursit, because yoga school is consuming all my time and energy. And that is what I am here for.

I am turning into a complete nerdy-nerd in Applications of Yoga - my hand goes up so often that Dr NC is starting to get a desperate look whenever he casts his eye in my direction. I have made an appointment to see him for a therapy session next week. To pester him some more.

Tomorrow is the not-to-be missed talk by Sri Deiskachar (Sri is a term of gret respect). He has such a powerful presence, I am reduced practically to tears every time I encounter him. Never thought that would happen to me. But he is truly truly great.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home