Monday, September 18, 2006

See how weak she is?

School is getting really hands-on now. We are all subjecting ourselves to the merciless scrutiny of our classmates for practice purposes. Just the other day, I demonstrated ardha uttanasana (half forward bend, which is ironically a rather difficult backbend).

The commentary from the teacher went something like this:
See how weak the lower back is? See how the pelvis tilts to compensate? She is not ready for this posture. (Then to me) This should be part of your daily practice.

And I am not the only victim - all of us, no matter how fit, have idiosyncrasies which make our bodies interesting fodder for our classmates to learn from. Clearly there are no inflated egos on this course!

The after-school activities are on the rise too. Last week an Ayurvedic doctor came to give us a talk after school, and Saturday's session with the Sir went on longer because he had a special Q&A session with us western students. I am over being awestruck by him - he is really quite approachable, and as someone noted, he often forgets the punchline of his stories. Interestingly, he has trained his teachers so well that you get the same experience from them as from him. This is the value of having a personal mentorship with your teacher- you get a far more solid grounding.

This week, a psychologist is coming to talk to us about yoga for the spine (she has a doctorate in yoga) and a famous Indian singer is going to perform for us too - she is a student at KYM.

Its bittersweet that the course is more than half over now, as I don't want it to end, but on the other hand I am really looking forward to coming home and sharing all my new knowledge! I think I will be back in Chennai, because I think I have more to learn here. Much much more.

Thinking of you all at home!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home